St Joseph Hall – Carlow UniversityKatie Meehan2023-04-24T14:16:00+00:00
Built in 1929, St. Joseph Hall was one of the most frequented buildings on Carlow’s campus, as it served generations of students in search of fitness activities like aerobics, yoga, and weight training, among other activities. It also served as the home court for Carlow Celtics’ volleyball and intramural basketball.
In 2019, the total renovation of the 27,000+ SF facility was completed. The existing facility had a swimming pool, which was filled in as part of the renovation. Due to the site’s location on a hillside with only one two-way road through campus, access for deliveries and laydown space proved challenging. Franjo Construction was up for the challenge and was able to coordinate creative delivery methods, which included loading materials onto a hoist and delivering them into the lower level of the building for storage. This meant carefully navigating around a veteran tree in the middle of the courtyard.